Re: Phonetic representation LENGHT for DMETAPHONE, is there a way to make it longer? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Laurenz Albe
Subject Re: Phonetic representation LENGHT for DMETAPHONE, is there a way to make it longer?
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Thu, 2021-11-11 at 11:26 -0300, Jean Baro wrote:
> Please, I am working on a PoC for Real-time Person Identification, and one of the critical
> aspects of it is to support both minor misspelling and phonetic variations of First, Middle, and Last name.
> Like HarinGton == HarrinBton or RaphEAl == RafAEl. It's working for longer names,
> but it's a bit more imprecise for names like Lee and John. I am using Double Metaphone through dmetaphone() and
> dmetaphone_alt() in PostgreSQL 13.3 (Supabase.io). And although I appreciate Double Metaphone
> it returns a (too?) short string as the phonetic representation compared to metaphone(string, length).
> metaphone() has parameters to make the resulting phonetic representation longer.
> I investigated dmetaphone() and couldn't find anything other than the default function. Is there a way of making
> dmetaphone() and dmetaphone_alt() return a longer phonetic representation similar to metaphone()'s, but with a ALT
variation?.

These functions focus on phonetic similarity.

There are no other variants of these functions, but perhaps pattern matching
(which focuses on spelling, *not* phonetics) can help:

  CREATE EXTENSION pg_trgm;

  -- now you can use the "similar to" operator
  SELECT * FROM tab WHERE name % 'lorenz';

Yours,
Laurenz Albe