Re: Questions regarding notify processing. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Questions regarding notify processing.
Date
List pgsql-general
Terry Lee Tucker <terry@esc1.com> writes:
>> Is this a bug?  Did anybody look at the stack trace is sent? I don't have
>> the expertise to analyze it.

I haven't seen any stack trace.  strace is not a stack trace --- I'm
talking about attaching to the stuck process with gdb and getting the
result of "bt".

If it is hanging up in PQnotifies then that's certainly a bug, but you
haven't proven that.  The debug printouts you showed could equally well
be interpreted as PQnotifies returned NULL and control went back to the
idle loop.  PQnotifies is not supposed to block, ever.

At the moment I suspect the problem is somewhere upstream, probably in
your interaction with the X toolkit.  I think the program is blocking
when in fact there are still bytes ready to be read by libpq.

            regards, tom lane