Re: PATCH: logical_work_mem and logical streaming of largein-progress transactions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: PATCH: logical_work_mem and logical streaming of largein-progress transactions
Date
Re: PATCH: logical_work_mem and logical streaming of largein-progress transactions  (Alexey Kondratov <a.kondratov@postgrespro.ru>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Attached is an updated patch series, merging fixes and changes to TAP
tests proposed by Alexey. I've merged the fixes into the appropriate
patches, and I've kept the TAP changes / new tests as separate patches
towards the end of the series.

I'm a bit unhappy with two aspects of the current patch series:

1) We now track schema changes in two ways - using the pre-existing
schema_sent flag in RelationSyncEntry, and the (newly added) flag in
ReorderBuffer. While those options are used for regular vs. streamed
transactions, fundamentally it's the same thing and so having two
competing ways seems like a bad idea. Not sure what's the best way to
resolve this, though.

2) We've removed quite a few asserts, particularly ensuring sanity of
cmin/cmax values. To some extent that's expected, because by allowing
decoding of in-progress transactions relaxes some of those rules. But
I'd be much happier if some of those asserts could be reinstated, even
if only in a weaker form.

regards

Attachment