Re: Backup and Restore mechanism in Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vivek Khera
Subject Re: Backup and Restore mechanism in Postgres
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sep 14, 2005, at 9:45 AM, vinita bansal wrote:

> I have a 4 proc. AMD Opteron machine with 32 GB RAM and ~400GB HDD
> and a 40GB database. I need to take backup of this database and
> restore it some other location (say some test environment). I am
> currently using pg_dump and pg_restore utilities to get this done
> which takes 4-5 hrs for a dump and 8-9 hrs for restore
> respectively. I am using custom format for taking dumps.

i'll bet you've saturated your disk I/O bandwidth, since for me
dumping a db a bit larger than that takes roughly 1 hour, and restore
about 4.

you could also investigate making a copy using a replication system
like slony (http://slony.info) then once the copy is made turning off
the replication.

Vivek Khera, Ph.D.
+1-301-869-4449 x806