Re: Damaged (during upgrade?) table, how to repair? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From W.P.
Subject Re: Damaged (during upgrade?) table, how to repair?
Date
List pgsql-general
 >> So you have backup of the failed machine's disk stored somewhere else?

>>> I would say your second sentence contradicts your first.
>>
>> Nope ;). There was 1 500GB disc, with Fedora24 and Postgres 9.5. Then
>> copied "sector by sector" (and resized partitions, volumes, fs) to
>> 1TB one. This was my "working" disc.
>
> To be clear the 1TB disk is working where and with what OS?
1TB DISC is connected to OrangePi4 (as I have copied disc "sector by
sector" from 500GB to 1TB, some months ago, I can't connect both of them
to one machine -> same UUIDs, LVM does crazy). And then I copy single
files using rsync.

>> For test, now I have put it (500GB) in another laptop, then upgraded
>> F24 to F30 (step by step, once I had to do manually "pg_upgrade",
>> ARAIR this was at PG10->PG11 step).
>
> For future reference you can could have gone from 9.5 -> 11 without
> the intermediate upgrades.

That is not true for Fedora OS.... Tested both ways, only "step by step"
looks working (but is time consuming).
> Also where were you installing Postgres from the Fedora or Postgres
> repos?
 From Fedora's, during OS upgrade.

>> Now I did my crazy move, removed battery and power while "suspend to
>> RAM". OS (F24! @ 1TB) don't start anymore (beyond "emergency").
>
> I will reserve comment on that move. Still in future it would be
> prudent to do a pg_dump and stash the backup somewhere off machine
> before you do that sort of experiment.
>

>> I use now this upgraded disc (500GB), copying files for daily work
>> from 1TB one attached to OPi4.
>
> What I understand from the above is you are copying files from the 1TB
> disk to the 500GB disc to work with on the 500GB disk/machine. Am I
> correct?
Yes.

>> Will try, if I can achieve PG9.5 run on that "non working" one. If
>> so, and dumpall is OK, then files on this are mainly intact (except
>> for NetworkManager)...
>
> In that case you will be using 9.5 pg_dump(all) to do the dump,
> Assuming it works it is not guaranteed that it will restore forward to
> Postgres 11.
>

>>> This will require installing development packages on your new machine.
>>>
>> Ok, should be easy :)
>>
>> But what PREFIX should I use during configure step?
>> "/usr/lib/postgresql/"? And what about location of config files?
>
> The default for a source compile install is
> /usr/local/pgsql(https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/install-procedure.html).
> I would stick with that if for no other reason then helping
> identifying your package and source clusters.

At 9.5 "era" there ware single directories (/bin /lib etc) for single
machine, now as I can see, there are "single" but one for each PG
version installed, with dispatcher(s) located in PATH (/usr/(local)/bin.

So I want to replicate this doing my PG upgrade.