Re: ECPG: AUTOCOMMIT and CURSORs - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From A J
Subject Re: ECPG: AUTOCOMMIT and CURSORs
Date
List pgsql-admin
That would explain it. I was neither in a transaction nor did any explicit HOLD. Thanks Kevin.

From: Kevin Grittner <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov>
To: pgsql-admin@postgresql.org; A J <s5aly@yahoo.com>
Sent: Mon, October 4, 2010 5:20:14 PM
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] ECPG: AUTOCOMMIT and CURSORs

A J <s5aly@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am seeing some funny behavior on using both:
> EXEC SQL SET AUTOCOMMIT TO ON;
> and
> CURSORS (EXEC SQL DECLARE ............., EXEC SQL FETCH NEXT FROM
> .............)
>
> On autocommit on (either through above method or precompiling with
> -t option),
> the cursor does not return any rows. On disabling autocommit, I
> get the required number of rows from the cursor.
>
> Any idea what could be going on ?

Are you inside of a transaction?  How does the WITH or WITHOUT HOLD
function in ECPG?  From the manual:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/sql-declare.html

"WITHOUT HOLD specifies that the cursor cannot be used outside of
the transaction that created it. If neither WITHOUT HOLD nor WITH
HOLD is specified, WITHOUT HOLD is the default."

-Kevin