Re: Array detection in pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Array detection in pg_dump
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Is there a reason we don't use pg_type.typcategory to detect arrays in
> Postgres 8.4?  Right now I see this in pg_dump.c:

typcategory is user-assignable and thus not too reliable; furthermore
it wouldn't prove that the type is the array type for its typelem.
(Consider things like point and name --- there can be multiple types
with the same typelem, but only one is the real array type for that
typelem.)  The typelem back-link check is much safer.