Re: persistent db connections/resiliency - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: persistent db connections/resiliency
Date
List pgsql-general
Robert Boyd <rboyd@ivmg.net> writes:
> Should I get connection status before every query, and if bad, attempt
> reconnect?

Waste of time, assuming you are thinking of PQstatus(); it just returns
a field from the PGconn struct showing the last known state.

I'd suggest that *upon error* you check to see if the error indicates
a dead connection, and attempt reconnect if so.  No need to expend
cycles in the main line of your app for this.

If you really want an end-to-end connectivity check, you can issue
an empty query string with PQexec; but I'd not recommend doing that
for every single query...

            regards, tom lane