Disable autovacuum guc? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Disable autovacuum guc?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hello,

After all these years, we are still regularly running into people who
say, "performance was bad so we disabled autovacuum". I am not talking
about once in a while, it is often. I would like us to consider removing
the autovacuum option. Here are a few reasons:

1. It does not hurt anyone
2. It removes a foot gun
3. Autovacuum is *not* optional, we shouldn't let it be
4. People could still disable it at the table level for those tables
that do fall into the small window of, no maintenance is o.k.
5. People would still have the ability to decrease the max_workers to 1
(although I could argue about that too).

Sincerely,

JD
--
Command Prompt, Inc.                  http://the.postgres.company/                        +1-503-667-4564