Re: .sequence_name != ? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: .sequence_name != ?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Ed L." <pgsql@bluepolka.net> writes:
> When a sequence is created in 7.3.2, it appears you get a new table for each
> sequence object.  Is it ever possible for the sequence_name in a sequence
> relation not to match the name of the relation itself?

ALTER TABLE RENAME on a sequence doesn't update the sequence_name.

I think someone looked at doing that update, but we concluded it was too
messy (mainly because ALTER RENAME is transactional but updates to a
sequence tuple aren't).

In general I'd counsel that you should ignore the sequence_name field
anyway.  It's vestigial.