Re: ssl tests aren't concurrency safe due to get_free_port() - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: ssl tests aren't concurrency safe due to get_free_port()
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2022-10-02 Su 12:49, Andres Freund wrote:

> 2) Use a lockfile containing a pid to protect the choice of a port within a
>    build directory. Before accepting a port get_free_port() would check if the
>    a lockfile exists for the port and if so, if the test using it is still
>    alive.  That will protect against racyness between multiple tests inside a
>    build directory, but won't protect against races between multiple builds
>    running concurrently on a machine (e.g. on a buildfarm host)

I think this is the right solution. To deal with the last issue, the
lockdir should be overrideable, like this:

  my $port_lockdir = $ENV{PG_PORT_LOCKDIR} || $build_dir;

Buildfarm animals could set this, probably to the global lockdir (see
run_branches.pl). Prior to that, buildfarm owners could do that manually.

There are numerous examples of lockfile code in the buildfarm sources.
I'll try to hack something up.

cheers

andrew

--