Re: Why Not MySQL? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Why Not MySQL?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Malcontent null <malcontent@msgto.com> writes:
> "In a nutshell I want to use postgres as a back end to an access
> database. This means that all collation done by postgres musht be case
> insensitive including like clauses."

Well, it'd certainly be easy enough to make a case-insensitive set of
text comparison functions and LIKE comparator (sounds like you already
found out where they live, so go to it).  The $64 question is exactly
when where and how to invoke them.  For your immediate purpose I suppose
you can just alter the standard operators, and thus produce a server
that can do nothing *but* case-insensitive text comparisons.  That will
certainly not be acceptable as a general-usage answer, however.

There has been a good deal of talk about supporting more of SQL92's
national-character and collation features in future releases.  What
might ultimately happen is that we offer a case-insensitive collation
mode that could be assigned to particular text columns, or even
made the default for a whole database.  Not sure how far down the road
that is.

In the meantime, there's no shame in running a locally-hacked server.
That's one of the things that open source is for, after all ;-)