Re: returned value from SQL statement - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alain Roger
Subject Re: returned value from SQL statement
Date
List pgsql-general
thanks for the link regarding errors... i did not find it before.

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 10:47 AM, Richard Huxton <dev@archonet.com> wrote:
Alain Roger wrote:
> hi,
>
> i would like to know how can i control the returned value from a SQL
> statement ?
> for example, if i do an INSERT INTO... :
> 1. how can i know if the INSERT worked ?
> i mean i already trapped the unicity violation, but what if there is another
> error ? where can i get a complete list of exceptions ?
>
> 2. if the INSERT INTO is successful, how can i know it ? what is the
> returned value ?

If it fails you'll get an error. The transaction will be aborted. How
you access this error code will depend on what library/client you are using.

> 3. the same question as point 2 but for all SQL statements from PostgreSQL.

Same.

> I read few books and every time this part is not treated correctly but only
> partially.

There's a full list of error codes here if you want to know what went wrong:
  http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/errcodes-appendix.html

Am I mis-understanding you?

--
  Richard Huxton