Re: [GENERAL] How to upgrade PostgreSQL minor version? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: [GENERAL] How to upgrade PostgreSQL minor version?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 04/26/2017 06:56 AM, Ron Ben wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What are standbys?

Standbys are the standby servers when you are using replication:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/high-availability.html

I am guessing you are not using replication.

> My question was more of how to actualy do the update to a specific versions.

That depends on how you installed Postgres. If you used packages then
you can use the package manager. If you built from source, then you need
to download the latest and build it but not install it yet. Shutdown the
existing running instance of Postgres and then install the latest
version. In the current Postgres version numbering system X.X.x the X
refers to major versions the x to a minor version. As a rule minor
version to minor version upgrades do not require a dump/restore cycle or
use of pg_upgrade to deal with the date. You are just upgrading the
binaries. Since it is a rule there have been exceptions so is important
to read the release notes. FYI, starting with Postgres 10 the versioning
will change to X.x. Since this is your first time going through the
process I would dumpall the Postgres cluster first, before you do the
upgrade, just to be on the safe side:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/app-pg-dumpall.html

> What are the commands to do it? normaly the default upgrade is for the
> latest version.

See above.

> I'm not sure what is the recommndation. Should I just update directly to
> 9.3.16? It's very confusing how to do it somoothly.

The changes in the various versions from 9.3.4 to 9.3.16 are cumulative
so by going directly to 9.3.16 you get all of them. You just need to go
through the list I provided to see if any of them actually apply to you
and deal with them in the 9.3.16 instance you start up.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com