Re: [pgsql-hackers-win32] PITR on Win32 - Archive and Restore - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [pgsql-hackers-win32] PITR on Win32 - Archive and Restore
Date
List pgsql-patches
> The attached applied patch cleans up our implementation and documents
> its purpose. I also added some examples for 'archive_command'.

If you're going to do that, do it in both places ... you missed
pgarch.c.

Also, I would say that the large block comment belongs with
make_native_path, not with its caller.

> ! #
>   # If archive_command is '' then archiving is disabled.  Otherwise, set it
> ! # to a command to copy a file to the proper place.  Any %p in the string
> ! # is replaced by the absolute path of the file to archive, while any %f is
> ! # replaced by the file name only.  NOTE: it is important for the command to
> ! # return zero exit status only if it succeeds.
> ! #
> ! # Examples:
> ! #     archive_command = 'cp "%p" /mnt/server/archivedir/"%f"'
> ! #     archive_command = 'copy "%p" /mnt/server/archivedir/"%f"'  # Win32
> !

This text should probably be removed from postgresql.conf.sample
altogether; we are not in the habit of providing more than one-line
documentation there.  I stuck it in there as a quick and dirty thing
because we didn't have archive_command in the SGML docs at the time.
But now we do, and I'd say this info should be moved to runtime.sgml.

            regards, tom lane