Re: Minimising disk writes - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Minimising disk writes
Date
Re: Minimising disk writes  (Andrew Chambers <andychambers2002@yahoo.co.uk>)
List pgsql-novice
Andy Chambers <andychambers2002@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
> I'm at the investigation stage of a project that involves putting a
> database on an embedded device.  One of the problems we face is that
> the filesystem is on Flash Memory so we need to minimize any writes.

> Is it just a bad idea to use postgresql for this type of thing?

Fraid so ... PG is not designed with the idea of avoiding disk writes,
indeed it's pretty aggressive at pushing committed data out to disk.
You could maybe get away with flash storage for a read-mostly, very
low update rate database, but the software isn't going to help you
do it :-(

            regards, tom lane