Re: split TOAST support out of postgres.h - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: split TOAST support out of postgres.h
Date
Re: split TOAST support out of postgres.h  (Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> On 28.12.22 16:07, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I dunno, #3 seems kind of unprincipled.  Also, since fmgr.h is included
>> so widely, I doubt it is buying very much in terms of reducing header
>> footprint.  How bad is it to do #2?

> See this incremental patch set.

Wow, 41 files requiring varatt.h is a lot fewer than I would have guessed.
I think that bears out my feeling that fmgr.h wasn't a great location:
I count 117 #includes of that, many of which are in .h files themselves
so that many more .c files would be required to read them.

(You did check that this passes cpluspluscheck/headerscheck, right?)

> It seems like maybe there is some intermediate abstraction that a lot of
> these places should be using that we haven't thought of yet.

Hmm.  Perhaps, but I think I'm content with this version of the patch.