Re: logical decoding : exceeded maxAllocatedDescs for .spill files - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: logical decoding : exceeded maxAllocatedDescs for .spill files
Date
Re: logical decoding : exceeded maxAllocatedDescs for .spill files  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
List pgsql-hackers
Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> On Sat, Jan 11, 2020 at 10:53:57PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> remind me where the win came from, exactly?

> Well, the problem is that in 10 we allocate tuple data in the main
> memory ReorderBuffer context, and when the transaction gets decoded we
> pfree() it. But in AllocSet that only moves the data to the freelists,
> it does not release it entirely. So with the right allocation pattern
> (sufficiently diverse chunk sizes) this can easily result in allocation
> of large amount of memory that is never released.

> I don't know if this is what's happening in this particular test, but I
> wouldn't be surprised by it.

Nah, don't think I believe that: the test inserts a bunch of tuples,
but they look like they will all be *exactly* the same size.

CREATE TABLE decoding_test(x integer, y text);

    FOR i IN 1..10 LOOP
        BEGIN
            INSERT INTO decoding_test(x) SELECT generate_series(1,5000);
        EXCEPTION
            when division_by_zero then perform 'dummy';
        END;