Re: BUG #11523: Regular expressions work differently on different platforms - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #11523: Regular expressions work differently on different platforms
Date
List pgsql-bugs
dmigowski@ikoffice.de writes:
> I recently found that regular expressions, or specifically the [:space:]
> shorthand escape work differntly on Windows and Linux. On Linux the
> non-brakeable space is not included in the shorthand escape, on windows it
> is.

That would depend on what locale you're using for LC_CTYPE.  We can't do
much about the fact that locale definitions vary across platforms.  In
principle you could use C locale, which *is* standardized, but that cure
may be worse than the disease for your purposes.

You could always spell it out with whatever set of characters you consider
whitespace: [ \t\r\n] or something like that.  For purposes like email
address validation, the set of whitespace characters allowed by the
relevant RFCs is probably smaller than most locales' [:space:] anyway.

            regards, tom lane