Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Simplify the syntax of CREATE/ALTER TEXT SEARCH DICTIONARY by - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Simplify the syntax of CREATE/ALTER TEXT SEARCH DICTIONARY by
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Teodor Sigaev <teodor@sigaev.ru> writes:
>> I also made these statements verify that the tmplinit method will accept
>> the new settings before they get stored; in the original coding you didn't
>> find out about mistakes until the dictionary got invoked.

> That is source of initdb error with -E KOI8-R --locale ru_RU.KOI8-R options :
> ERROR:  character 0xc3a5 of encoding "UTF8" has no equivalent in "KOI8"

> Snowball dictionary tries to convert swedish (some languages too, but
> that was first which I see) stopword file from UTF8 to KOI8 encoding.

Hmm.  That's a problem, but I don't think that not having any error
checking on CREATE TEXT SEARCH DICTIONARY's parameters is a good
solution.

The first kluge that comes to mind is to suppress the error check in a
standalone backend (ie, when not IsUnderPostmaster), which would cover
the initdb case.  But maybe there are better answers ... any ideas?