Re: [Re: Password?] - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ms swati chande
Subject Re: [Re: Password?]
Date
List pgsql-general
I think I can understand what you both have discussed.
But I am unable to unearth my mistake.

Regards
Swati

--- On Wed, 7/8/09, Andreas Wenk <a.wenk@netzmeister-st-pauli.de> wrote:

From: Andreas Wenk <a.wenk@netzmeister-st-pauli.de>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] [Re: Password?]
To: "Steve Atkins" <steve@blighty.com>
Cc: "pgsql-general List" <pgsql-general@postgresql.org>
Date: Wednesday, July 8, 2009, 11:20 PM

Steve Atkins schrieb:

> On Jul 8, 2009, at 6:19 AM, Andreas Wenk wrote:
>
>> Jasen Betts schrieb:
>
> That's not true.

you are right!Sorry for that mistake.

>>> if it's "trust" any user can do
>>> ~postgres/8.4/bin/createdb -U postgres -p 5433 test
>>
>> nope! what you did is calling createdb as system user postgres (I believe because of the ~ sign at the beginning) *and* giving the option -U postgres. That works for sure and you even don't need -U postgres since you are allready postgres. But leave -U postgres away as a system user not equal to postgres ... see my example above.
>
> Nor is that.

Why not? I think it is but maybe I did not write it understandable enough. See my example.

> Most of the postgresql client tools, including createdb, can be used by any operating system user to connect to the database as any database user.
>
> If they are called with "-U foo" then they will attempt to connect to the database as database user "foo".
>
> If they are not called with -U then they will usually attempt to connect to the database as the current operating system user (though that can be overridden with the PGUSER or PGSERVICE environment variables).
>
> So if I'm logged in as steve and I do "createdb test" then I will try and connect to the database as database user steve and create the test database. If I do "createdb -U postgres test" I will try to connect to the database as database user "postgres" and create the test database.

this is exactly my example. I am the system user duke but there is no role duke in the db. The result is the error message. Using -U postgres is successful.

But in the case shown by Swati she is allready the system user postgres. So there's no need to put the option -U postgres. Correct? See my example.

> Whether I'm prompted for a password or not depends on the settings in pg_hba.conf. Typically the postgres operating system user is allowed to connect to the database as the postgres database user without a password. Other OS user / database user combinations may or may not need a password depending on whether pg_hba.conf is set up to ask for one or not - how that is set up as default varies, but it's fairly common to require a password.

exactly. Thanks a lot for explaining that way better.

> Cheers,
>   Steve

Actually I think we both know how it works ;-)

Cheers

Andy