Re: [GENERAL] using conda environment for plpython3u? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: [GENERAL] using conda environment for plpython3u?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 10/23/2017 2:05 PM, Celia McInnis wrote:
> Is it possible for users to use their conda environment for plpython,
> complete with the modules that they have loaded in that environment?
> If so, what do I do?
>
> I am running postgres 9.6.2 and would like to use a conda environment
> for python 3.6 which contrains a fair number of modules that I want to
> use (eg., regex, recordclass, pandas, ...).

plpython runs in the context of the server user, not the end user.   as
long as you can maket his 'conda environment' available to that user,
and it doesn't violate the single threaded design of a postgres
connection, I dunno why not.

that said, everything you do in a PL is running in the process context
of the core database server.   I'm very very hesitant to drag in large
complex external systems, and would generally prefer to do that sort of
thing in an app server context outside the DB server.