Re : Re: UTF-32 support in PostgreSQL ? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From fortin.christian@videotron.ca
Subject Re : Re: UTF-32 support in PostgreSQL ?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
 ----Do you mean data stored as UTF-32, or source code in UTF-32, or translation files as UTF-32?

I mean for ALL, data stored, source code, and translation files.
For source code, I think then GCC must support UTF-32 before.

I sent an e-mail to Oracle to see what they tink about this huge idea.
Well, I know it's not efficient space wise, but this in the only way that we can deploye worldwide.
I think it must be add to the next version of the SQL languages.

Le 26/10/15, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> a écrit :

On 10/23/2015 11:29 PM, fortin.christian@videotron.ca wrote:
>Is PostgreSQL support UNICODE  UTF-32 characters ?
>
>If not, I think it's a must to be internationnal.
>
>To help you in this task, you could use this UTF-32 editor:
>
>https://wxmedit.github.io/downloads.html
>
>thanks.

Do you mean data stored as UTF-32, or source code in UTF-32, or translation files as UTF-32?

For data, UTF-32 does not meet our requirements for server side encoding (as well as being horribly inefficient space-wise).

cheers

andrew