Re: Can SCALE 6x resurrect LAPUG - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Richard Broersma Jr
Subject Re: Can SCALE 6x resurrect LAPUG
Date
Re: Can SCALE 6x resurrect LAPUG  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
List pgsql-advocacy
--- On Thu, 12/13/07, Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's not premature to pick a date and place!  Do you
> have contact information for any of the other interested people?

I believe so,  I can check with the guys that I meet at the last SCALE.  How would I go about arranging for a place to
meetat?

> The key for us was contacting the University, communicating
> through other open source and database user groups, and
> being consistent!

Did you contact the university to arrange facilities to meet in, or did you post fliers to generate student interest in
theuser group?

> We don't have that, but most of the user group leads
> watch and post to this mailing list. You can ask us
> questions any time!

I feel that a user group to be successful, the meetings would need to be meaningful for the attendees.  How one goes
aboutadding meaning to a user group, I am not too sure.  But I would imagine that showing up for free pizza and a
laptopwith PostgreSQL installed probably wouldn't be enough hold long term interest.

> Also, some of my family is in LA - Alhambra - and I could
> come down and give a talk sometime for your group after SCALE.

Wow!, Thanks for offering the support.

> And if you're interested in creating a "user groups
> operating manual", I'd love to collaborate with you as
> LAPUG gets off the ground :)

Producing a operating manual would be something that I could do that would be a contribution to the community.  At the
veryleast I would learn what is involved for a operating Postgresql users group.

Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.