Re: pg_dump'ed file contains "DROP DATABASE" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: pg_dump'ed file contains "DROP DATABASE"
Date
List pgsql-general
On 2/20/23 11:36, pf@pfortin.com wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Feb 2023 11:06:34 -0800 Adrian Klaver wrote:
>
>> On 2/20/23 10:27, pf@pfortin.com wrote:
>>> [Still a newbie; but learning fast...]
>>>
>>> Hi,

> Notwithstanding the man page, my take is that the DROP DATABASE statement
> needs to be eliminated at pg_dump creation by pgAdmin4.  Taking this to
> that mailing list.

It just dawned on me you might be doing all of this through the
pgAdmin4 GUI.

In which case from most recent documentation:

https://www.pgadmin.org/docs/pgadmin4/6.20/index.html

Backup Dialog:

https://www.pgadmin.org/docs/pgadmin4/6.20/backup_dialog.html

Options tab:
"
Move the switch next to Include CREATE DATABASE statement towards right
position to include a command in the backup that creates a new database
when restoring the backup.

Move the switch next to Include DROP DATABASE statement towards right
position to include a command in the backup that will drop any existing
database object with the same name before recreating the object during a
backup.
"

So the default is not to include those options.

For Restore dialog:

https://www.pgadmin.org/docs/pgadmin4/6.20/restore_dialog.html

Options tab(for custom format):

"
Move the switch next to Include CREATE DATABASE statement towards right
position to include a command that creates a new database before
performing the restore.

Move the switch next to Clean before restore towards right position to
drop each existing database object (and data) before restoring.
"

Again the default is to not include those options.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com