Re: Thousands of errors...what happened? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From john gale
Subject Re: Thousands of errors...what happened?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mar 24, 2014, at 9:43 AM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> Jerry Levan wrote:
>> The other day I attempted to connect to my 9.3.2 postgresql data base and my connection
>> attempts kept failing.
>>
>> I found about 100000 lines in the log file that looked like:
>>
>> ERROR:  could not seek to end of file "global/12292": Too many open files
>> LOG:  out of file descriptors: Too many open files; release and retry
>
> I think this means there is a file descriptor leak somewhere; maybe a
> third-party module by Apple.  It might be useful to see what files are
> open by the offending process; in Linux you would just see
> ls -l /proc/{pid}/fd
> but I don't know if this works on Mac OS X.

% sudo lsof

is the tool.  It doesn't have to be a leak;  if you've ignored the postgres configuration, you could have a potential
maxclients that exceeds the standard open file limit of the system, which you may have just been lucky in never
reachinguntil a surge in traffic generated enough postgres children to breach the limit.  Adjust open file limits for
launchd-basedagents through /etc/launchd.conf:

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=launchd.conf+open+files

    ~ john