Re: add server include files to default installation? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: add server include files to default installation?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Fabien COELHO <coelho@cri.ensmp.fr> writes:
> I wish to submit a small patch so that server includes and
> all necessary configuration files could be installed *by default*.

There is a reason why install-all-headers is not the default.  It is
that it shouldn't be the default: most people do not need it, because
they will never build any C extensions for themselves.  It would just
be a waste of disk space for them.

If we did do such a thing it would have zero impact on the majority of
users anyway, because the RPM and other packagers will still put these
files into separate postgresql-devel packages, which would still not be
installed by default.