Re: array_agg() on a set larger than some arbitrary(?) limit causes runaway memory usage and eventually memory exhaustion - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Frank van Vugt
Subject Re: array_agg() on a set larger than some arbitrary(?) limit causes runaway memory usage and eventually memory exhaustion
Date
In response to Re: array_agg() on a set larger than some arbitrary(?) limit causes runaway memory usage and eventually memory exhaustion  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-bugs
Op donderdag 31 oktober 2013 10:05:16 schreef Tom Lane:
> > It looks like this didn't go into git yet. Will it be in v9.2.6/v9.3.1?
>
> Certainly not.  We can consider it for 9.4, if Tomas submits it to the
> commitfest process, but it needs review and testing.  In particular
> I'm skeptical that it probably outright breaks some cases (look at
> makeMdArrayResult) and results in substantial added bloat, not savings,

Clear, please mind the fact that Tomas did point out to me that it was an
untested patch ;)

However, although the example with which I ran into this issue was a bit
contrived, the current behaviour of the array functions in terms of memory
usage does seem to be a bit greedy. So at least it _looks_ like a good idea to
want to do something about it, since triggering this issue in the real world
doesn't seem that far-fetched...

Tomas...., are you planning to (submit a patch)?

--

Best,

Frank.