Re: Vertica targeting PostgreSQL users - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Shane Ambler
Subject Re: Vertica targeting PostgreSQL users
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 21/11/2017 07:58, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On 11/20/2017 01:23 PM, Simon Riggs wrote:
>>
>> Josh,
>>
>> I believe you just made up "fake news" about 2ndQuadrant.
>>
>> Please explain your source of this information, or retract and
>> apologise now.
>
> If you read the email I believe the source is clear. If the source is
> incorrect or I am misunderstanding what 2Q is doing, please feel free to
> clear it up.

Josh,
I think that 2ndQPostgres isn't as closed as you think it is. It appears
to be a custom postgresql build, which has 2Q's new development features
they plan to get merged into the main development. So it provides early
access to new features that aren't in the community postgresql *yet*

While the code doesn't appear to be easily accessible, 2ndqpostgres
looks to be a binary build that combines the other projects which
(mostly?) have github repos.

On the 2ndqpostgres page it states -
> No lock-in. 2ndQPostgres allows you the ability to move between community
> PostgreSQL and 2ndQPostgres, and back again just by replacing the
> binaries and restarting the server from a clean shutdown

> Our customers are able to utilize cutting-edge features while the
> community acceptance process continues at its own pace.

By maintaining a binary compatible data storage, they aren't locking you
into there product. Of course any development using new features will
need adjusting if you go back to the community edition.

This also helps by getting more testing before the features are added to
the main development.

Simon - is that correct?

--

Shane Ambler