Re: [pgsql-hackers-win32] [HACKERS] snprintf causes regression tests to fail - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [pgsql-hackers-win32] [HACKERS] snprintf causes regression tests to fail
Date
List pgsql-patches
> Have we considered what is going to happen to applications when they use
> our snprintf instead of the one from the operating system?

Hmm ...

First line of thought: we surely must not insert a snprintf into
libpq.so unless it is 100% up to spec *and* has no performance issues
... neither of which can be claimed of the CVS-tip version.

Second line of thought: libpq already feels free to insert allegedly
up-to-spec versions of a number of things, and no one has complained.
Maybe the linker prevents problems by not linking these versions to
any calls from outside libpq?

Third thought: Windows' linker seems to be broken enough that it may
create problems of this ilk that exist on no other platform.

            regards, tom lane