Re: INSERT RETURNING with values other than inserted ones. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Dunks
Subject Re: INSERT RETURNING with values other than inserted ones.
Date
List pgsql-general
If you're just replicating the data from table A into table B, why does it need its own ID number? Wouldn't the table A
IDsuffice?

I'd recommend using the following:

CREATE TABLE b AS ( SELECT * FROM a );

This way, you only define the columns and insert the data once, then let Postgres do the rest for you. Obviously if you
needto have a separate table B ID, you can alter as necessary.

Good luck,
Richard Dunks