CONNECT privilege - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joris Dobbelsteen
Subject CONNECT privilege
Date
Re: CONNECT privilege  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general

I've set up a little test to find out how much permissions users have in PostGreSQL.
It seems that the CONNECT privilege cannot be assigned or is not recognized by postgresql 8.1.

When using pgAdmin-III it does not display the granted CONNECT priviledge.
Also when doing GRANT CONNECT FOR DATABASE <db> TO <user/group> it succeeds, but I fail to observe its effects: i.e. users are not allowed to a database.

The public rule has been removed of course from the database.

I did find GRANT CONNECT in the documentation, but no notes regarding its operation.
Also I have read at least the pgAdmin documentation advices to use the connect privilege rather than pg_hba configuration file, which seems logical and easier to manage.

Any way I seem to be doing something wrong or missed something?

Thanks,

- Joris