Re: Design / Implementation problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joris Dobbelsteen
Subject Re: Design / Implementation problem
Date
List pgsql-general

[snip]

>*** The Question ***
>
>Is there a way to design the DB schema as well as the query in
>such a manner that calculating the point balance on the fly is
>not an unfeasibly heavy duty calculation to be done at every page view?

*** My Answer ***

I could think of a simple solution that might work, at the cost of a
little storage space. This gives an advantage in computational overhead.

For every time you award points, track two things:
* Awarded points...
* Points remaining from the awarded ones.
  Obviously equal to awarded points at insertion time
* Date they are awarded (or the expirary date, that doesn't matter).

When you are subtracting points just update the the non-expired
remaining points, with the oldest first.

From the problem I think you can do it on-the-fly without too much
overhead. You can plug in your scheme how to account the points:
Per-order, add to the order table...
Per-period, add a table for the points only...

Of course it really depends on how much data you are expecting. Overhead
will be 'fixed' for per-period and otherwise scale with orders/customer.

[snip]

Maybe this helps a bit,

- Joris