Re: supporting 2000 simultaneous connections. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joris Dobbelsteen
Subject Re: supporting 2000 simultaneous connections.
Date
List pgsql-general

As Bill Moran already said:
"You might want to take some time to investigate what "simultaneous
users" really means for your application.  For example, in a web
application, 2000 simultaneous users usually equates to less than 100
actual database connections, as web users spend most of their time
reading pages and very little time actually talking to the database."
This should also be true for your application too, especially since it's
a web application. You don't need a persistent connection per user, but
can rather share then between different users.

When taking tests I'm not that fast and reading, thinking and clicking
will take some seconds. Your system is well capable of storing my
answers quickly enough (and probably getting the question as well).

>We are using JNDI connection pooling.
>
>I think we have to now think about upgrading the hardware as well.

Test this first with you existing setup.
Remember, 2000 web clients is not the same as 2000 database connections!
Your question was if most likely interpreted whether postgres can
sustain 2000 connections to the database at once, rather than whether it
can handle 2000 web users.

- Joris