pg_resetxlog for 8.0 (was Re: production server down) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject pg_resetxlog for 8.0 (was Re: production server down)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> writes:
> The manpage for pg_resetxlog gives some general idea how it is used, and
> a way to estimate the next transaction id and wal segment.

I had forgotten that that text was in there.  It needs to be updated for
8.0 because WAL segment file names are now three-parters.  I think
there's also a "MUST FIX FOR 8.0" to-do item here: there needs to be
a way to specify the timeline ID to use.  In prior versions we just
allowed pg_resetxlog to set startup ID to 1 all the time, because it
wasn't really being used for anything.  But as of 8.0 that's a
significant value and so you'd better be able to set it.

What I'm inclined to do is just widen the "-l" option to take three
numbers instead of 2.  That will keep it in sync with what people will
see when they look at WAL file names.  Any objections?