Re: Missing update of all_hasnulls in BRIN opclasses - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: Missing update of all_hasnulls in BRIN opclasses
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 4/24/23 23:05, Tomas Vondra wrote:

> On 4/24/23 17:46, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> writes:
>>
>>> In backbranches, I think it should be reasonably easy to add a
>>> --1.7--1.7.1.sql file and set the default version to 1.7.1; that then
>>> enables us to have the functionality (and the tests) in older branches
>>> too.  If you just add a --1.X.1--1.12.sql version to each branch that's
>>> identical to that branch's current pageinspect version upgrade script,
>>> that would let us have working upgrade paths for all branches.  This is
>>> a bit laborious but straightforward enough.
>>
>> "A bit laborious"?  That seems enormously out of proportion to the
>> benefit of putting this test case into back branches.  It will have
>> costs for end users too, not only us.  As an example, it would
>> unecessarily block some upgrade paths, if the upgraded-to installation
>> is slightly older and lacks the necessary --1.X.1--1.12 script.
>>

> Why would that block the upgrade? Presumably we'd add two upgrade
> scripts in the master, to allow upgrade both from 1.X and 1.X.1.

D'oh! I just realized I misunderstood the issue. Yes, if the target
version is missing the new script, that won't work. I'm not sure how
likely that is - in my experience people refresh versions at the same
time - but it's certainly an assumption we shouldn't do, I guess.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company