return true / false instead of int4 value - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Johnson, Shaunn
Subject return true / false instead of int4 value
Date
Re: return true / false instead of int4 value  ("Peter Darley" <pdarley@kinesis-cem.com>)
List pgsql-general

Howdy:

I want to know if this is even possible: How
can I return a true/false value instead of
integer?

I want to do something like this:

[snip]

select count(*) from t_table
having count(*) > 1500000

[/snip]

But want to return a true/false (bool) result.

Background:

The goal is to do what I have been doing for the
past few weeks - get a count of a table and,
based on the count, either create a new table
or fail and halt the rest of the related process.

I've done the function thing - it doesn't work
very well.  It stalls a few times and somehow
I created a bogus function type in one of the
system tables ... so ... I'm going to stay
away from that.

I've created a perl script to do exactly what
I want! ... 'cept ... during the regular
database refresh, it doesn't complete
until well AFTER I need it to ... other views
and tables are dependent on this one being
created first.

SO ... I'm looking for a nitch on how to
convert (and cast won't work for me) the
type from 'int4' to 'bool' for the above
sql excerpt.

*whew*

Suggestion?

HEY: Somebody send me some disco ... er ...
motivation music!

-X