Re: pad column with leading zeros or space - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Johnson, Shaunn
Subject Re: pad column with leading zeros or space
Date
List pgsql-general

--You're right, Tom.

--I've been toying around with the perl aspect of
padding what I needed with zeros and spaces, but either
way, it seems like I'm just going to be pained by this
exercise.

--For example, I'm testing the following:

[snip test table]

drop table t_devel;
CREATE TABLE t_devel (
"bp_member_id" int,
"bp_disease_id" int,
"bp_measure_id" int,
"bp_end_perios_id" int
);
grant select on t_devel to public;

[/snip]

[snip from command]

bcn=> insert into t_devel values (009834,23,3445,523);
INSERT 689881850 1
bcn=> select * from t_devel;
 bp_member_id | bp_disease_id | bp_measure_id | bp_end_perios_id
--------------+---------------+---------------+------------------
         9834 |            23 |          3445 |              523
(1 row)

bcn=> select lpad(bp_member_id:text, 10, '0') as bp_member_id from t_devel;
ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near ":"
bcn=> select lpad(bp_member_id::text, 10, '0') as bp_member_id from t_devel;
 bp_member_id
--------------
 0000009834
(1 row)

[/snip]

This is the results that I want, but how do you *make* the table
keep the column attribute of things like lpad, rpad, etc ...

I mean, when I define the table, can't I just say something like:

[a guess]

create table foo (
member_id lpad(10, '0')
);

[/snip guess]

I know this doesn't work, but that's sorta what I'm going for.

Or, if it's not a current function by itself, can I develop
something that will always do that for each type, function and
attribute and return what I want?

Yeah ... seems like I'm on the 'gimme, gimmie, gimme' kick today ...
sorry 'bout that ...

Thanks all!

-X