Re: can't get psql authentication against Active Directory working - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tomas Pospisek
Subject Re: can't get psql authentication against Active Directory working
Date
List pgsql-general
On 18.02.23 17:16, Erik Wienhold wrote:
>> On 18/02/2023 15:02 CET Tomas Pospisek <tpo2@sourcepole.ch> wrote:
>>
>> so I'm trying to authenticate psql (on Windows) -> postgres (on Linux)
>> via Active Directory.
>>
>> psql (Linux) -> postgres (Linux) with authentication against Active
>> Directory does work.
>>
>> However the same with psql.exe on Windows does not. I get:
>>
>>       D:\>C:\OSGeo4W\bin\psql.exe service=the_db
>>       psql: error: connection to server at "dbserver.example.lan
>>       (192.168.4.104), port 5432 failed: could not initiate GSSAPI
>>       security context: No credentials were supplied, or the credentials
>>       were unavailable or inaccessible: Internal credentials cache error
>>
>> psql.exe from the OSGeo4W QGIS Installer *does* include GSS support. (I
>> have tried with a different psql.exe without GSS support and it would
>> tell me that it does not support GSS).
>>
>> The .pg_service.conf file in the users $HOME directory looks like this:
>>
>>       [the_db]
>>       host=dbserver.example.lan
>>       port=5432
>>       user=user@EXAMPLE.LAN
>>       gssencmode=require
>>
>> This same pg_service.conf does work for psql (Linux).
>
> On Windows the service file is not read from $home/.pg_service.conf but
> $env:appdata/postgresql/.pg_service.conf (or %appdata%/postgresql/.pg_service.conf
> when using cmd.exe.)

Thank you Erik,

the location of the .pg_service.conf file is not the problem, as I am
seeing that psql.exe is reacting to its contents, that is authenticating
differently depending on whether gssencmode is set or not (maybe I noted
its location wrongly, since i've written the post from my notes, as I do
not have access to the machines in question all the time).

Do you have authentication from psql.exe against Active Directory working?
*t