Re: character confusion - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: character confusion
Date
List pgsql-general
Steve Crawford <scrawford@pinpointresearch.com> writes:
> Just noticed something odd with a column of type "char". According to
> the docs (and the way my old PG ran), the character data-type is
> blank-padded. I'm not seeing that on one of my current machines (8.3.8)
> or, perhaps I'm going blind on Friday. Was the definition of char changed?

No; what you're forgetting is that length() doesn't count padding spaces
in char(N) input.  Try octet_length() if you want to be convinced that
the spaces are there.

Was your "old" PG pre-8.0?  We changed that quite a long time ago.

            regards, tom lane