Re: Re: timeout on lock feature - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Re: timeout on lock feature
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Henryk Szal" <szal@doctorq.com.pl> writes:
> YES, this feature should affect ALL locks.
> 'Timeout on lock' parameter says to server "I CAN'T WAIT WITH THIS
> TRANSACTION TOO LONG BECAUSE OF (ANY) LOCK",

It still seems to me that what such an application wants is not a lock
timeout at all, but an overall limit on the total elapsed time for the
query.  If you can't afford to wait to get a lock, why is it OK to wait
(perhaps much longer) for I/O or computation?

Such a limit would be best handled by sending a query-cancel request
when you run out of patience, it seems to me.