Re: Using 7.1 driver with 7.3? - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Using 7.1 driver with 7.3?
Date
Re: Using 7.1 driver with 7.3?  (Daniel Serodio <daniel@checkforte.com.br>)
List pgsql-jdbc
Mike Bridge <mike@bridgecanada.com> writes:
> The version of a proprietary library we have licensed does not
> understand the extra decimal places in Postgresql 7.3 datetime
> types.  (We are currently using it with Postgresql 7.1.)  But
> everything else appears to work fine with the new 7.3 jdbc driver.

Why don't you just declare your timestamp columns as timestamp(0),
so that the extra decimal places are suppressed?

> I've tested our stuff with the old driver and the new database, and
> it appears to work.  My question is: is this a good idea?

I doubt it.  There have been a heck of a lot of bug fixes in the JDBC
driver since 7.1, so even if there aren't any compatibility issues to
worry about (which seems unlikely), it would be much better to use the
up-to-date driver.

            regards, tom lane