Re: can't get user authentication to work - HELP! - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: can't get user authentication to work - HELP!
Date
List pgsql-general
"Floyd Shackelford" <floyds@4peakstech.com> writes:
> my pg_hba.conf file has the following entry:
> host all  192.168.1.0   255.255.255.0  password pg_passwd

You probably just want

host all  192.168.1.0   255.255.255.0  password

What you have specifies an "alternate password file" named pg_passwd.
It's unlikely you need an alternate file.

The above might account for the failure to connect as superuser;
most likely the pg_passwd file hasn't got an entry for the superuser
(if the file even exists at all).  Another possibility is that you
didn't set a password for the superuser.

Not sure why you're getting the other message
> psql: FATAL 1:  SetUserId: user 'user1' is not in 'pg_shadow'
createuser should've handled that for you.  What is in pg_shadow
anyway?  (do a "select * from pg_shadow" as superuser to find out)

            regards, tom lane