Re: [GENERAL] Using different GCC, CFLAGS, CCFLAGS and CPPFLAGS tocompile Postgres and PostGIS? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Using different GCC, CFLAGS, CCFLAGS and CPPFLAGS tocompile Postgres and PostGIS?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 2/1/2017 8:34 PM, postgres user wrote:

> I am wondering about this question for a while with no definite answer
> to it, can someone explain me in detail to clear me out on the
> following question :
>
> What can go wrong or is it acceptable if I build Postgres from source
> with let's say GCC 4.x.y and some specific CFLAGS, CPPFLAGS and
> CCFLAGS and when I try to install an extension for Postgres such as
> PostGIS using a different version of GCC lets say GCC 4.x.z with
> varying CFLAGS, CCFLAGS and CPPFLAGS and if I follow the same process
> for other non-contrib extensions? I want to know the theory behind
> this and it would serve me a great help to understand the systems
> aspect of the process as well.

the PGXS build process that most postgres extensions are built with
should use the same flags the postgres server was built with.   minor
compiler version differences shouldn't matter, but major ones certainly
would.   if the project doesn't use PGXS its harder to keep it all
straight, while remaining portable.

otherwise, your question is far too vague to be directly answerable.
given a nearly infinite number of combinations of ways of doing things
wrong, predicting whats going to happen in each case is futile.