Re: Postgresql data integrity during RAID10 drive rebuild - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve Poe
Subject Re: Postgresql data integrity during RAID10 drive rebuild
Date
List pgsql-general

Yep, I've done it a few times.  A few tips:

backup your database with pg_dump.  confirm you can restore on a test
machine.

Thanks. We do nightly dump and restore  to a second server for testing/backup purposes.
 The data is entact. Are you recommending a dump before we begin the drive rebuild?

replace the drive during the lowest traffic period for your database.

Sounds good. According to LSI, the drive will take 8 hrs to rebuild a 146GB disc (at a 30% rebuild rate), so doing this in the middle of the day is not ideal.

The LSI cards are very stable.  I've replaced drives under them back in
the Ultra-320 days with removable caddies.  I would imagine that as long
as you have the proper drive caddies you're set.  If the drives are not
in removable caddies, you'll need to power down to safely unplug them.

The drive is on a removable caddie in a 4-disc array backplane.

Scott, Joshua, and Vivek...thanks for your feedback.

Steve Poe
Adobe Animal Hospital