RE: Ideal hardware configuration for pgsql/Netra - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Albertson, Chris
Subject RE: Ideal hardware configuration for pgsql/Netra
Date
List pgsql-general
It's sitting right here on my desk.  Ask whatever you want.

Yes they are better web servers than DBMS servers but if you
database is small enough to cache in RAM then who care if
the Netra uses slow disks?

All that talk on this list about Linux vs. BSD is silly.
Why bother when you can have Solaris 8 on SPARC hardware?

On the Netra Sun has added "LOM" this is a little shell-like
program burned in ROM that runs on some micro controller,
not on the SPARC CPU. It stays up even when the CPU, RAM
and disks are powered off and the cooling fans are off.
They still have the old OK> prompt but you don't need to
use it much.  LOM will run when Solaris is up too.

The Netra is best when you stack them in a rack.  You
get a system with 40 CPUs, 80 Disks, 8Gb network
bandwidth, for under $40K All in one telco rack.