Re: Avoiding data loss with synchronous replication - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bossart, Nathan
Subject Re: Avoiding data loss with synchronous replication
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 7/23/21, 4:23 AM, "Laurenz Albe" <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> wrote:
> But that would mean that changes ostensibly rolled back (because the
> cancel request succeeded) will later turn out to be committed after all,
> just like it is now (only later).  Where is the advantage?

The advantage is that I can cancel waits for synchronous replication
without risking data loss.  The transactions would still be marked in-
progress until we get the proper acknowledgement from the standbys.

> Besides, there is no room for another transaction status in the
> commit log.

Right.  Like the existing synchronous replication functionality, the
commit log would be updated, but the transactions would still appear
to be in-progress.  Today, this is done via the procarray.

Nathan