Re: Re: BUG #6264: Superuser does not have inherent Replication permission - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Re: BUG #6264: Superuser does not have inherent Replication permission
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com> writes:
> Let's look at the behavior of DDL-exposed access constraints for precedent.  We
> currently have three paradigms for applying access control to superusers:

> 1. Settings that affect superusers and regular users identically.  These include
> ALTER ROLE ... LOGIN | VALID UNTIL.

> 2. Rights that superusers possess implicitly and irrevocably; the actual setting
> recorded in pg_authid or elsewhere has no effect.  These include GRANT ... ON
> TABLE and ALTER ROLE ... CREATEDB | CREATEROLE.

> 3. ALTER ROLE ... REPLICATION is very similar to #1, except that CREATE ROLE
> ... SUPERUSER implies CREATE ROLE ... SUPERUSER REPLICATION.

> I think we should merge #3 into #2; nothing about the REPLICATION setting
> justifies a distinct paradigm.

Yeah, there's much to be said for that.  I thought the notion of a
privilege that superusers might not have was pretty bogus to start with.

rolcatupdate isn't a very good precedent to rely on because it's never
been documented or used to any noticeable extent, so there's no reason
to think that it provides a tested-and-accepted behavior.

            regards, tom lane