RE: [QUESTIONS] File size limit. How it afect PostgreSQL? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Mount
Subject RE: [QUESTIONS] File size limit. How it afect PostgreSQL?
Date
List pgsql-general
[cc'd to general]

> I was testing a new 4Gb disk and one of the teste was to create a TAR file
> that must have ~ 3.5 Gb but it allways stop at 2,147,481,600 bytes with a
> write error message.

That sounds like the 2Gb file limit

> Could it be a hardware limit? Or a UNIX limits? Or a TAR limit?

It's a unix limit (2^32-1 bytes if I remember)

> If I have a table as big as this limit (a table with BLOBS inside), will
> postgress fail?

Unless your blobs are 2Gb in size, then no, as each one is a seperate pair
of tables/indices.

In theory, when a table reaches the magic 2Gb limit it should split the
table into two.

--
Peter T Mount, peter@maidstone.gov.uk, peter@retep.org.uk
Please note that this is from my works email. If you reply, please cc my