Covering Indexes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David E. Wheeler
Subject Covering Indexes
Date
Re: Covering Indexes  (Rob Wultsch <wultsch@gmail.com>)
Re: Covering Indexes  (Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com>)
Re: Covering Indexes  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndQuadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hackers,

Very interesting design document for SQLite 4:
 http://www.sqlite.org/src4/doc/trunk/www/design.wiki

I'm particularly intrigued by "covering indexes". For example:
   CREATE INDEX cover1 ON table1(a,b) COVERING(c,d);

This allows the following query to do an index-only scan:
   SELECT c, d FROM table1 WHERE a=? AND b=?;

Now that we have index-only scans in 9.2, I'm wondering if it would make sense to add covering index support, too,
whereadditional, unindexed columns are stored alongside indexed columns.

And I wonder if it would work well with expressions, too?

David